UPDATE: We have just received an update from professional watch journalist Miguel Seabra who has confirmed that Nadal’s watch was stolen during the Masters 1000 Toronto event, that went from 9-15 August, and that the star athlete then played watch-less the following week at the Masters 1000 Cincinatti.
We are still waiting for confirmation though if the timepiece was recovered, or if in fact Nadal has received a replacement. Stay tuned.
Rumours have emerged that the highly complex Richard Mille 027 Tourbillon gifted to tennis superstar Rafael Nadal was stolen a few weeks ago at the Toronto Tournament. The timepiece (which we first wrote about here) gained worldwide fame when it was first announced that it would adorn Nadal’s wrist during every game of every tournament he played.
The $525,000 price tag didn’t hurt either.
However, it remains unclear as to whether the timepiece was actually stolen or if perhaps this is a PR stunt to renew interest in the product, as we have tracked down conflicting reports (and photos) that show Nadal wearing his favorite new timepiece at the US Open Nike Primetime Knockout Event as well as during training sessions ahead of the start of the US Open.
Picture via Nadal News
Picture via Nadal News
Alternatively, it is highly possible, as our favorite tennis journalist Miguel Seabra points out, that Richard Mille has simply given Nadal a replacement timepiece to fill the half a million dollar gap left on his wrist.
We should all be so lucky!
We’ll keep you posted as soon as we hear more news but so continues the interesting, and sometimes controversial, story of the Richard Mille 027 Toubillon.
Category: Watch News
About the Author (Author Profile)Tom is the founder and editor of The Watch Lounge. Together with his team he is dedicated to bringing you the best, original content you won't find anywhere else on the net.
Sites That Link to this Post
- Rafael Nadal's $525000 RM 027 Tourbillon Stolen? | The Watch … « Tennis Community | August 29, 2010
- Rafael Nadal's $525000 RM 027 Tourbillon Stolen? | The Watch … | The Tennis News | August 29, 2010
- My Tennis Circle » Rafael Nadal's $525000 RM 027 Tourbillon Stolen? | The Watch … | August 30, 2010
- Open Source – US Open Tennis 2010 – SI.com » Posts Nadal’s $525K watch stolen at Open tune-up « | August 30, 2010
- World Wide News Flash | September 1, 2010
- Planeta Gadget » Richard Mille RM027, el reloj de Nadal. | September 6, 2010
- Nadal Finally Wins His U.S. Open. Sucks For Us. [Tennis] | September 25, 2010